Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Birthday Palooza Day 2: Wrapping it Up with Family

This is part three of my extravagant birthday weekend recap.  For part one go here; for part two go here.

Saturday morning I woke up around 7 - hurray for 2 days in a row of sleeping in! When my feet hit the floor, something about my toes caught my eye.  I went into the bathroom to get brighter light and realized that the polish on both of my big toes was ruined!.  Even though my feet had about 4 hours to dry before I put shoes on the evening before, somehow they hadn't dried and my beautiful pedicure was a mess.  So upsetting.

The inn is so posh and old that there are no microwaves, coffee pots, etc. in the rooms.  The lobby has huge urns of coffee and hot water available from 7 am to midnight. So I threw on some workout clothes and went down to get us coffee.  On the way I stopped at the front desk and showed the young woman working there my pedicure.  She told me to go right down to the spa and they would fix it.  What?  So I ran went down there and they told me to come back at 9:30 and they would fix it at no charge!  Now the whole day had taken a different turn from what I originally planned.  I hustled back upstairs, guzzled my coffee, then ran back down to the spa gym so I could do a quick 5K on one of the deluxe treadmills.  Hurried back upstairs to get showered so I could be back down to the spa for the pedicure fix. Whew!  But what service!  I may never be able to handle a Comfort Inn again...

We checked out and drove 2 miles to my office.  Why?  Because on Friday I had received a text from my boss telling me that flowers had been delivered to the office, so I went to pick them up.  So glad I did - they were from Little Helen!

See the charm hanging around the vase?  It's actually a pendant!

After arriving home, we relaxed the rest of the day - watched a movie, a couple of shows I had taped, and laid around and did nothing.  I did not clean one single thing or cook any meals - astonishing I know!  Finally it was time to go pick up my father-in-law and head over to Mama Helen's house for my family birthday dinner.  It was everything you'd want a family dinner to be and more - filled with good food and better than that, a loving family who is loads of fun!

Mr. Helen, my Father-in-Law, Sister-in-Law married to Baby Brother

This doggy Mouse was a guest and the little nieces LOVED him.  Loved him to the point that Sister-in-Law married to Little Brother had to put him in his crate so he could rest LOL!

The gang's all here (except for baby brother who is taking the photo)

The rest of the gang - Mama Helen with the babies.  Gracie, the ringleader said, "Make a funny face!" Just as the camera fired.

They think they're funny.  52 candles on the cake.  The kids loved it!
(Also can you tell this photo was taken by my sister's boyfriend who is a professional photographer?  Same camera but what a difference.)

My helpers for the gift opening, sweet Gracie and Samantha

They alternated until we got to this gift then Gracie said, "We all do this one together!"

Sammy Lou looking at my new cookbook with me.
She said, "Aunt Helen, this is for the kitchen!"

When my sister saw how good Paleo was for me she started eating the same way.  She bought me this cookbook for a gift, then used it so much herself she had to order another one.  LOL!  You know what excites me most about this new cookbook?  The author is a person who had even more serious thyroid problems than mine and got her life back by following a Paleo foodstyle!

The rest of the loot including a ton of gift cards, a hot pink crocodile case for my laptop and the best chocolate covered cherries in the world!

Flowers from Mama Helen!  This means I have flowers in every room on the first floor of my house right now.

Even in this day and internet age, I received a boatload of cards
 I love every single one of them!

Everything about this evening was spectacular.  Every bit as good as the luxury of the spa and inn, just in a different way.  In fact the whole weekend was absolutely fabulous - I really couldn't have been more surprised along the way, or asked for one more thing.

22 comments:

  1. If I'm correct I see my card arrived, glad about that.

    I love it how you and your family celebrated your birthday. For the past couple of years (since I turned 40) I haven't celebrated my birthday (except for dinner with R.) but looking at your extravaganza birthday weekend, I might reconsider :)

    You have received lovely gifts Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fran your card arrived! I was so excited about it I've even saved the envelope. Did I ever tell you Mr. Helen loves your part of the world? When I told him it was a card from Holland he said, "Well now that you have a friend there, maybe you'll want to go there." Not that I don't want to but I'd rather have you and R meet us in Italy ;)

      Delete
    2. Italy and Holland is a 2 hour flight so I would say: pasta dinner in Toscane, fly to Holland and show Mr. Helen my beautiful country.

      Delete
  2. This had to be one of the best birthdays ever Helen! Your little present helpers are adorable! It's so nice to live close to family so you can share these events. We have lived far away from family for over 30 years and don't have the opportunity to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are definitely pros to living close to family.... but there are pros to distance too LOL!

      Delete
  3. What a great birthday! Love that they re-did your pedicure. I really loved that you came home and completely relaxed for the day--that is a whole 'nother kind of luxury, isn't it? I really love your pink crocodile laptop cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luxurious and not something that comes easy to me Debby!

      Delete
  4. I am so excited you had such a great birthday!! I'll live vicariously through your birthday - mine is in a couple weeks and with no $$ we probably won't do anything.

    And I agree - after staying at places like that, its hard to go back to Comfort Inns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biz, I know your $$ are tight right now but I really hope (and have faith) that something wonderful will happen for your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All those gift cards - you are going to have FUN shopping for your newly skinny body!!! And I'm with Debby - that pink croc laptop cover is gorgeous!

    Love all the cards - you are right, that is a rarity these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew 52 was such a special birthday? Looks like a wonderful celebration from A-Z, and you deserve every bit of it. Can't wait to see you model the bikini!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny Leslie. Modeling will take some, um, nerve. It's one thing to wear it in the Caribbean where no one knows me and another altogether to model it for blogland :D

      Delete
  8. What an awesome birthday celebration! Love the flowers --- so gorgeous. I might have to look up that cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this birthday post Helen!!!! Looks like a wonderful time! May the warmth and good wishes continue through the whole year. GOD...that was almost "gag worthy" but I really did mean it. I should apply to work for Hallmark. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew comical Roz had that sort of sap in her? Love it - thanks!

      Delete
  10. That hotel sounds amazing! I am so glad you had not just a great birthday, but whole weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like such a nice way to end your Bday extravaganza. Family is the best. Man, you really did get lots of cards. Very nice. You must be a very loved person, it shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah Helen! What a nice birthday dinner - That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am just catching up on the whole extravaganza. What an absolutely lovely weekend. I am so glad you had fun and you look amazing, simply gorgeous, and it shows, both inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am SUPER late to the party, but wanted to chime in here with a heart-felt Happy Birthday Helen! I loved reading about all your festivities and celebrations and more than that, I love that you're feeling so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed these 2 posts. What a great birthday you had this year. The spa sounds so great! I can't believe Mr. Helen even got a pedicure! My arm candy would never! I gave him a gift certificate for a massage and he gave it back saying thanks but "massages are not for me"! Can you believe that! More for me! Anyway, back to you! As fun as the spa was, I liked the family gathering the best. It is so nice to see you have such a loving and thoughtful family! Thanks for sharing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute. Happy, Happy Birthday! What a great birthday you had.

    ReplyDelete